Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Signs of Suffering

Today I am totally distracted by tragic news regarding a dear, longtime friend. As I think of my loved one hanging by a thread to this earthly life after a massive stroke and brain bleed,  my thoughts turn to the multitudes of loved ones around the world struggling to survive and overcome the brutal CoronaVirus along with a myriad of health complications.  I think of the separation from loved ones and sufferings of both. We know suffering has countless aspects. This is Holy Week and believers in Jesus Christ are mindful of His sufferings - inevitable persecution, pain, trauma and death by crucifixion. Jesus knew His mission was to redeem the world.  Jesus was committed to carrying out the plan of salvation that was formed before the foundations of the earth. He knew He would suffer for The Plan. 

In  The Radical Cross , A. W. Tozer  writes, "God will cover the eyes of all Christians when the time comes – they will never see death. The Christian stops breathing and there is a burial, but he does not see death for he already died in Christ when Christ died and he arose with Christ when Christ arose!"

What deep comfort it is to think of Tozer's words in that God will cover one's eyes when death of the earthly body approaches. There is further comfort to think that after we draw our last breath, He will uncover our eyes and we will see Him,  face-to-face. As far as I can find,  there is no scriptural basis for Tozer's words and it is  not a peek-a-boo with God kinda thing either.  It's a beautiful thought, isn't it?  Because of what Jesus Christ did for the world two thousand years ago,  we know death is swallowed up in victory - then, now and always. 

Thus, we know what is scripturally sound truth is Christ's blessed assurance of Eternity.  There are many passages of God's  promises about our sureness to not experience death when we are in Him. The Apostle John wrote of Jesus' promises repeatedly. 

John 10:28-29   ...and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

1 John 5:13.   These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 3:16.    For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
John 10:28     ...and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

John 10:29.   My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
              This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.


Those are just John's writings. There are many more scriptures of the same security written by David, Paul, Peter and the unknown author of Hebrews. 
Image may contain: 1 person
My friend is a cradle-Christian having believed in Jesus from early childhood and raised by loving parents in a Christian home.  She is very sure of her eternal security, even in her present state. I am sure of it, too. I am praying for a miracle from God in her recovery for I'd love to see her alive and well with us for many more years.  I also know if God chooses to take her home, I trust Him for the ultimate healing and perfect peace that is in Christ alone. 

Let us stand on the promises of  Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 5:8   We are confident, yes, well-pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.  

What more could I want for her?! What more could we want for someone we love or  for others suffering - for whatever reason - in this sick and broken world?! 

    Lord, Uncover Donna's eyes.  
  You have much more in store 
  for her, be it with us or with You. 
  We trust that either way, it is good! 
In Jesus' Name, Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment