Sunday, April 19, 2020

Generosity






"Heal the sick, raise the dead,  cleanse those who have leprosy (disease), drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."  -  Matthew 10:8

"Now this I say, he who sows sparingly and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart , not  grudgingly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver."                      - 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 
    
Jesus and Paul speak clearly about being generous. We are to be liberal in our giving with family, with friends, with those in need;  with our time, our possessions, with our love and with our church. 

“Freely you have received, freely give” Jesus says.  The freeness that Christ has demonstrated in giving to us is returned by our giving to others. Christ loves His church as a bridegroom adores his bride,  I am to give in anyway I can in the name of Jesus and His church. I am to remain committed to giving freely directly to His church,too.   

In the II Corinthians text, Paul reminds us that when we sow the seeds of generosity, we reap bountiful rewards in accordance with God’s plan for our lives. This is the principle of rowing and reaping. The Apostle  Paul offers a word of caution, too: we are commanded to be cheerful givers – not to give “grudgingly or under compulsion.”  

Today, let's take God’s words to heart and make a pledge to be a cheerful, generous, courageous givers. The world needs our help and we need the spiritual rewards that are ours when we give  I will be mindful of what I do not give, as well. I will not give my negative or cynical opinions. I will not be close-fisted to requests that come my way.  I will not hold back smiles, courtesies or grace, particularly when they are lest deserved.  I will be honest with myself about my natural bend to be selfish or withhold good. 

What is your focus today? Joy comes when it is Jesus first, others second….then you.”   - Kay Arthur 
“Selfishness is as far from Christianity as darkness is from light"-C. H. Spurgeon 

“It is the duty of every Christian to be Christ to his neighbor.”   -Martin Luther 

In the state of our sick, diseased and needy world, where can I show my generosity? Where can you show yours? 

Lord, You have been incredibly generous with me; let me be generous with You and to others. Help me to give generously of my possessions,  time and talents. Make me a humble giver like Jesus, Lord, so that all the glory and praise will be Yours. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen

(Subscribe to Reflections with Robbie by entering your email in the subscription box. ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment